- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 oz dark, excellent quality chocolate (60-72% cacoa content)
- 1 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 C pistachio nuts, shelled
- 1/3 C raw almonds
- 8 oz Medjool dates, halved, pits removed
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 C dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Spread the almonds on a sheet pan and bake for 7 minutes.
- Allow them to cool completely.
- Cut two pieces of wax paper the same width as a 8x8 inch baking pan with enough excess to go up the sides.
- Place one piece in the pan then place the second piece on top of it going the other direction to form a cross.
- Now, oil the baking pan very lightly and line the inside with wax paper.
- Chop the two chocolates finely. Place them in a small bowl and melt over a pan of hot water,
- stirring gently until just melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Place the pistachio nuts and almonds in food processor bowl and pulse 3 to 4 times.
- Add the dates, melted chocolate, salt and vanilla extract.
- Pulse until the ingredients begin to hold together, almost like dough.
- Add the cherries and pulse a few more times until the cherries are chopped coarsely and distributed throughout.
- Press evenly into the prepared pan using your hands.
- Smooth the top with a spatula.
- Cover the pan with a piece of parchment or waxed paper and chill until firm, about an hour.
- Remove from the pan by lifting up on the edges of the wax paper; place the square with waxed paper onto a cutting board.
- Cut into sixteen 2-inch squares.
- Wrap each bar individually in foil, or place in container and separate the layers with waxed paper.
- Store in the refrigerator or freeze for later.
- They should be enjoyed at room temperature.
Variation: If dried cherries are not available, substitute dried cranberries. Store refrigerated in airtight container for 4 days. Freeze, tightly wrapped, for 2 months.