- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 T olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and large-diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and large-diced
- 1 package cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 whole carrots, diced
- 1/4 C organic frozen corn
- 2 T chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled plum tomatoes in puree, undrained
- 1/4 C minced fresh basil leaves
- 1 lb ground turkey or grass-fed buffalo meat
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 1 T oil over medium heat and add onions.
- Cook for 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the bell peppers, mushrooms, carrots, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, and salt.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Place into slow cooker.
- Add 1 T oil into saute pan and add ground turkey or buffalo.
- Cook until slightly browned.
- Place in slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve alone or over brown rice, quinoa or a small baked potato.