No oven or stove top required
Keep the kitchen cool by making a no-cook soup for lunch or dinner
It has been a hot summer. In order to keep cool in the heat, we recommend trying no-cook options for meals and snacks that won’t heat up your kitchen. No stove, no oven and no microwave necessary. Actually, very little chopping is required because it can all be thrown into a high speed blender, like a Vitamix, Blendtec, Ninja or food processor. This raw summer soup will cool you down on the hottest day.
This recipe highlights zucchini, which is one of the most popular summer squashes in America and Europe.
Health benefits of zucchini
- Zucchini is a low calorie vegetable, containing no saturated fats or cholesterol.
- Its peel is a good source of dietary fiber that helps reduce constipation and offers some protection against colon cancers.
- The golden-skin varieties are rich in flavonoid poly-phenolic antioxidants, such as carotenes, lutein and zea-xanthin. These compounds help scavenge harmful oxygen-derived free radicals and reactive oxygen species (ROS) from the body that play a role in aging and various disease processes.
- They provide 6% of RDA of folate, which is important in cell division and DNA synthesis. When taken adequately during early pregnancy it can help prevent neural tube defects in the fetus.
- They are a very good source of potassium, an important intra-cellular electrolyte. Potassium is a heart-friendly electrolyte and helps bring the reduction in blood pressure and heart rates by countering pressure-effects of sodium.
- They also contain vitamin A, vitamin C, complex vitamin Bs, as well as the minerals – iron, manganese, phosphorus, and zinc.
- 2 C zucchini chunks
- 3/4 C frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 C celery chunks
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 C filtered water
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 2 small or 1 large garlic clove (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon crushed raw pistachios (for garnish)
- In a Vitamix or food processor, mix all ingredients (except pistachios) until smooth.
- Pour into bowl and garnish with pistachios.